Adding photos to posts.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92443#Post92443
The YP were not a waste of money. The stocker fish will perform pretty well until they die of old age. Unless the pond has a decent amount of submerged vegetation don't expect a lot of the offspring to survive the intense bass predation that is needed to control crappie. YP are a slender bodied fish for a long period and easier for bass to eat-swallow compared to sunfish and crappie.

Answers 1. IMO I would not add any larger bass. Your existing numerous 7"-8" actively growing bass are more than adequate for your needs.

2. LMB are one of the best fish predators due to their aggressiveness and large mouth.

3. I would release all the current BG and 'red gills'(RES?) that you catch. Zetts fingerling red & blue gill (>3")may have included hybrid BG which is a common occurrence with some fish farms even Fenders. However others may have different 2nd opinions. At this point in time I think you need the spawn from the small BG and possibly the few add stock adult BG to keep the numerous bass growing.

4. Adding more FHM after this point benefits the fish farm the most, not much benefit to predators in your pond. FHM are best served to get quick growth of bass the first year. Other fish then become the backbone preyfish of the fishery. You now want your existing fast growing bass to prey heavily of the current hatchling BG that is now occurring. The new hatchling BG will quickly in 1 month be 1" long and good food for 8" bass and other fish present that are able to eat fish less than 1"long.

It would be informative for members here for you to return next year and report the progress of your pond.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/27/16 07:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management