How many hybrids that will happen I do not know. But I do know I have already been getting some. I've already trapped quite a few small ones and transferred to my main pond. I probably trap one hybrid for every 30 CNBG that go into the modified minnow traps (opening widened to about 2" instead of 1").

I have no problem identifying hybrids with GSF genes in them. Larger mouth, telltale white or yellow fin tipping, and remnants of green cheek bars are signs I look for. Hybrids with GSF will have at least one of those characteristics and usually all three. When I am feeding around the pond edge and I throw out AM400 (small BB sized feed) near shore to the small BG the white/yellow tipping on the hybrids stick out like a sore thumb. They are very easy to spot among hundreds of BG.

What I have trouble with the identification is diferentiating if the hybrid is a RES/GSF or a CNBG/GSF. Especially when the fish are small, which is mostly what I now have (other than the original stocking fish) in this sediment pond. When the fish get larger, I THINK I will be able to tell the difference. At two inches it is even hard for me to tell for sure it is a RES fingerling and not a CNBG. Now by the time they get 3", usually there is a orange dot on the opercular tab of the small RES. At 4" it becomes easy.

A few times I have caught more than one hybrid at a time in the traps and they have a different "look". I THINK there have been a few RES/GSF hybrids but am unsure. The only time RES fry go into the trap is if I bait the trap when the sun is getting low in the evening. Had two 3" RES in one trap the other night.

When it comes to catching the fish by either trap or line (have caught and moved a few hundred CNBG over to the main pond by hook and line) the hybrids are very aggressive. They go in traps for food easily and they are caught easily. Before I realized I wanted hybrids in my main pond I caught about 30 from my main pond till I was hardly catching any any more (transferred them to my old pond). They are very aggressive and are easy to catch. If BG are biting aggressively both are easy to catch. If the bites become far and few the hybrids will be the ones to end up on the line.

I don't know how rare the crosses will be, but do know I am getting some. One thing possibly facilitating this is the fact that this is a sediment pond and by its very nature tends to be turbid multiple times during the year. This may actually help mask what males the females are mating with, thus making hybrid production more likely.

I may get some RES/CNBG hybrids also, but pretty sure I would not even be able to tell they are a hybrid at 2" and maybe not till they get 4 or 5".

I put 4 adult RES (5-8" from my main pond)in this pond in addition to the original stocking from the fish truck. I think I caught them near a spawning bed because all 4 were caught within a half hour and casting to the same spot. So RES had a potential jump in production in this pond compared to the 2" CNBG and RES stockers.

I hope to build a pond some day (perhaps this fall after the corn comes off a field near by) where I stock only male RES and female GSF (caught out of my own ponds). Then the only offspring that can happen will be a RES/GSF cross.

Why? Damm'd if I know. It's a hobby. It is supposed to waste time and money.

Last edited by snrub; 05/16/16 06:19 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine