Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
I have some schematics together, but it going to be a bit grander than a bug whacker.

Basic design is a solar charger of about 25W in full sun, to charge a basic lead-acid battery, preferably one that can handle deep cycle (I wont supply, but you can use a ATV battery or whatever is handy). That is the main power house for the unit with a peak solar power tracking controller and lead-acid battery manager.

It will have a small micro-controller with a Bluetooth LE module so you can connect to it via your cell phone and manage it to set light timings, bug whack rates, etc. The board itself will have an LED driver for a series of blue/violet LEDs so that they can be angled in an array to be seen by the bugs from a distance to draw them in. It will also have one or more higher-power LED drivers for dock and/or underwater lighting. Also a thermometer or two for reporting air temperature and water temperature back to your phone.

The challenge is the power management for the 25W source power. Obviously you cannot leave everything running at 100% all the time, so the unit has to understand the capacity of charge available, and what can run and when. Stuff I get to do at the day job all the time, so it should be fun!

The last challenge will be the enclosure and mechanical design. That may require a little crowd funding if there is interest.

I figure if I design it for something reasonable that I would use regularly (especially the dock lighting and underwater lighting) then there should be a small but reasonable market out there to at least break even.

Please continue with your work, I would love to have a system like u describe, underwater green lighting to be used when we r at the pier and the same with the bug lights.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy