I've been going through the same process of building a pond in south central IL. Ours is about 10 miles south of Nashville, IL.

I've worked with the NRCS on both the building of the pond, putting some of the land into the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), tree and grass planting, and also talked about stocking the lake (although that won't happen till this fall).

The NRCS came out an scoped out a couple of potential sites we had on our land, recommended the location the felt was most suitable, and then designed the damn. They also provided a list of local contractors. The contractors bid the job based on the NRCS's numbers. I will say the guys they recommeded were just dirt movers but with the research i did from this site, the magazine, and other books, was able work with them and they were willing to do things as requested. I was not able to find any money available to building the pond.

The NRCS does have funds available for putting some or all of the land you plan to build on in CRP so you can get paid for some of the land depanding on what it was previously used for.

There is also some programs that will provide trees, shrubs, grasses, and grains for plant around the pond. (spent one day planting 175 white pines). These were provided free of charge.

Stocking is also something the state supports. There is a program that the state will stock bluegill, Redear, channel cats and large mouth bass. There is a $25 application fee and $1 per acre charge. This is a significant savings vs going with a hatchery.

There are no major stipulations on these programs. You don't have to open your land to public fishing. You just have to agree to not turn the area you plant the trees, etc on into farm land within the next two or three years. Which is not a problem for me.

I would be willing to talk with you further on these programs or what I've researched on some of the stocking options you mentioned, as well as general pond contruction. Send me an e-mail at jkbochantin@charter.net

Kevin