Originally Posted By: BAK
I have a small, 80" diameter circle 16 feet deep. I drained it with a Trash pump last weekend to get rid of a million tiny crappie & blue gill. It is dry and lifeless now.

I have had trouble with suspended clay for three years. Last year I used alfalfa to clear it, but had to add more after each rain.
I have a dump trailer bringing two yards of granulated gypsum tomorrow. The pond is dry, how should I best add the gypsum?

Also have a 2" well to add water and a Thomas pump for aeration. I don't aerate aggressively for fear of churning. The air pump is primarily used to airlift water from the well. Unsure if this is important to applying gypsum.

BAK,
I am curious to know how you arrived at the amount of gypsum to add to your pond? The conventional way that I know of is to have the pond full of water with the clay suspension and turbidity present. A gallon jar of the turbid pond water will then have a measured amount of gypsum dispersed into the water and the floc (clarity) is monitored. If the water has not cleared, then add another measured amount of gypsum. This is done until the water clarity meets your satisfaction. You then will need to know the approx. volume (in gallons) of the water in your pond. With that, a calculation can be made as to how much gypsum will be required to clear your turbidity or clay suspension. Check out the link below. Further down in the download, it will explain in detail the jar testing method about how much gypsum to use to clear up your pond.

http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/publications/SCS-2013-02.pdf

Last edited by stickem'; 02/17/16 09:16 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...