Originally Posted By: TGW1
snrub, it looked to me he was adding sand for a beach smile My agg lime did not have that sandy look, looked more like gray gravel lol Charlie u sure they did not bring u sand? smile Driver might have been new to the trade lol

Tracy

We get at least a couple different types of ag lime here. The fineness of grind determines how quickly it reacts to the acidic soil or water. So fine lime works quicker, but coarser stuff tends to last longer. Over a certain size particle, from what I'm told it becomes ineffective for neutralizing (at least in my lifetime).

We have regular ag lime that is specifically ground for ag lime from limestone rock. Then there is (or at least was, not sure if we can still get it) some that is a byproduct of mfg some other rock products and is actually the saw dust from cutting rock. It is very high ecc and is fast acting, but does not last as long. If you step into a truck load of it, be prepared to sink up above your waist. It is like talcum powder.

Point is, ag lime can look significantly different in different parts of the country.

What I like to do around the pond edges is use what is called in Kansas AB3. It has large rocks up to about 1" in diameter and everything fine below that. In other words everything that will pass through maybe a 1.5" screen after going through the grinder. It is used in driveways a lot because the fines will pack. I would guess it has about 20 percent ag lime, because to get ag lime along with other grades of rock they screen out the ag lime portion to get aggregate to make concrete, etc.

It is not what a person wants to use specifically to lime a pond, but I like to put a 3 or 4' band around the banks before the pond fills and some piles here and there for BG nests. The ag lime portion just helps our naturally acidic soils/waters.

Last edited by snrub; 02/06/16 06:51 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine