Last year I built a house over looking a ~.5 acre pond. It was in rough shape and I've slowly tried to ship this pond into shape.

So far what I know. I've taken some rough depth measurements and it ranges from shallow to about 7-8' as far as I can find. In spring time it is tons of tadpoles that eventually hatch into thousands and thousands of frogs. I've seen turtles in it. I did talk to a neighbor that property does touch the pond and they said they put fish in it 5 years ago, however, when I told them they need to add around ~300 BG and ~100 LMB for that size they kind of looked at me weird. So I'm guessing they didn't put in that many. I have tried fishing in it only a hand full of times with my 5 year old daughter and her attention spanned lasted only as long as the worm stayed alive on the hook.

(What it looked like initially)

(Started the small pond on top of the wall)

I did just buy a pond water test kit to test for pH, ammonia, nitrates and phosphates, but currently I have 10" of ice on the pond. I did put blue dye and an algecide in it last year thinking it would help the floating weeds (before I found out what I think it is). Which I think it's Watermeal that is covering the pond.

What I want: I want it to be nice and free of Watermeal. I would like for it to be stocked with BG's and LMB. Nice for swimming.

What I was working on in the fall and will continue this spring, since I have a nice limestone retaining wall. I am digging a smaller pond on the top of the wall to put Koi fish in and have it spill over the wall and run into the big pond. I have a pump that will circulate the water. Also, I want to keep cleaning it up and plant nice plants around the edge.

What I want to know, is that deep enough? I've heard, yes and no. Is it Watermeal? I've read some forums on how to properly eliminate it. Any other information would be great.

(This fall)

(Cleaning up this winter)

Last edited by Stephen L; 02/04/16 09:28 AM.