Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: RUMBLON
Ok, Im lost on what you guys are talking about. I will be running basically the same pump a GAST OR THOMAS that uses the same AMPS from a plugged in extension cord that will go to a 20 AMP circut breaker in a panel I have down by my pond. It will be the only item on this 20 AMP breaker. This is what is currently installed.

what kind of electrical breaker or device should I be using to help this motor? Is this something in my breaker panel or something on the other end of my extension cord in the small home i build for my pump?

eventually I will put an underground line but the area in questions will be ripped up for a home build so no underground lines at this time.

Dave

Need to know the EXACT motor name plate rating, then you could install a Class CC Fuse (be the least expensive) or an appropriate Circuit Breaker local to the motor installation.

I've never seen anyone here do device level protection on a homemade rig tho, they just buy a new motor when they smoke.

If LL had an appropriate circuit breaker on the compressor he posted in this thread, when it had a mechanical failure, most likely would have saved the motor. Compressor rebuild was in vain because the motor took a fatal hit.

Well, my motor says it's thermally protected, and that's fine for it's purpose when the motor get's too hot, but that won't stop the amps from killing it way before that thermal switch even wakes up.

In my gig, I have to do device/people level protection on everything I do, so maybe this is too much here as I am not in control of the outcome.

JKB, I prefer to do what ever is necessary to protect my investment, especially since I can install what ever breaker I need in my panel. Ok I had no idea what a "class cc" fuse is, but it appears it would not apply to my situation as all my stuff is modern and I will be running an extension cord to start from a 150 AMP panel.

So if Im correct in understanding then when I buy my pump and it arrives, I cant get the info needed from the motor plate and then use the appropriate breaker so that I wont destroy my pump? Meaning instead of using a basic 20 AMP breaker I would use the correct one for my pump. So if I take my motor to an electrical supply place who specializes in this, can they sell me the correct breaker?

Dave