Well its been a while since my last update, so I figure its time for another post. The tank has been cycling for roughly a month and a half now. I ran into some issues at the start of the cycle, so it has been taking longer than I had hoped. Before starting the cycle, I drained the water and refilled it. After refilling it, I let everything sit for a few days to let the chlorine dissipate. I then added the ammonia and waited for the cycle to start. A few weeks later, I had some minnows left over from an ice fishing trip, so I filled a bucket with water from the same hose and let it sit for two days before putting the minnows in, but the next morning they all were dead. After doing some research, I now realize my water has chloramines and not chlorine, so it didn't evaporate out. Luckily I had those minnows, or I probably would have had no clue why my tank wasn't cycling. So I then dosed the entire tank with a dechlorinator and started the wait again. Fast forward to today, and my ammonia levels have gone down to almost 0ppm, my nitrates are over 5ppm (the highest my test kit measure), and I have also begun to see some nitrates. I added another dose of ammonia to get it up to 4ppm.

I have also make a couple changes to my system since my last post. I converted the swirl filter into a radial flow filter, so hopefully once I add fish that will be more able to handle the solids.

I also purchased a much stronger air pump and a bigger air stone for my MBBR. Now all of the media boils, and none of it gets stuck on the sides like it used to. The media is also getting a yellow/brown tinge to it, which I understand to be the bacteria growing on it.

The water temperature is still holding in the mid 50s-low 60s. Once the tank is done cycling in a week or two I plan on turning off the heaters. As was sugg

For fish species, I will be hopefully be able to get my hands on some pumpkinseeds for the pond I plan on digging next summer. Pumpkinseeds are very rare around here, which is part of the reason why I would like to have them in my future pond. I have also always thought they were a cool looking fish. My problem is sourcing the fish. There are no lakes in my area that I know of to catch them, and no hatcheries sell them. I found someone who sells them for native fish aquariums. How feasible would it be to buy 5-10 pumpkinseeds, get them to spawn in tanks this spring, and then grow them out in my system?
If the pumpkinseeds don't work out, I will probably just grow yellow perch to eat.