Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Originally Posted By: JKB
I got one of the 60's and one of the 110's. Son of a [(*%^&#)], those things are loud!!

If I cant figure out how to quiet them down, I'll have some free ones to anyone interested, but they do pump air. Too loud to be inside a house tho, but would probably work outside in an enclosure tho.

Good to know Phil. It had me curious as to what sound level it is. Different opinions from different folks!!!!

If you put it outside, would the cold air cool the water down?

Basement holds about 50°F during the winter, but these pumps warm up pretty good after a while so it might be a wash. Outside, I think if you built an insulated box, you would probably be OK with temps.

I gotta thank snrub for reminding me of something in a post he made on another thread. He didn't actually say this, but reminded me of something.

Back in the day's when I use to design and build custom bowl feeders. (PITA) I use to have a local transformer company whip me up these little choke coils in 1/2A, 1A and 2A sizes. Essentially an electromagnet that cycles at 60Hz. Pulls and releases 60 times per second.

There were mechanical methods I used to adjust the balance and rigidity of the rig, basically called tuning.

When it got to feed speed, I would use a variable output transformer and adjust the voltage to the coils which would adjust the magnetic pull force, and with the system rigidity, change the stroke of movement, but still cycled at 60Hz.

Now, snrub did mention back pressure in his post, and with the large bubble diffusers, there is virtually very little back pressure, but the large bubbles really mix it up.

From listening to this awful noise, and understanding how this stuff works, I might be able to change the force that these things are hammering at by dropping the applied voltage, lowering the pressure output and still get decent flow.

I should have a variable output transformer here, someplace, and also have a solid state gizmo from KB Electronics, but any motor rated dimmer switch with a speed pot should work.