I read somewhere in an aquaculture publication that 20 mg/l or more of ammonia will severely limit nitrifying bacteria growth. I can try and find it if you want. The link I posted agrees with 99 percent of my personal experience, but you're right they were trying to sell a few products.

The PHD down the road tells me there is a lot more going on than just nitrosomonas and nitrobactors species. Cool eh?

I've never inocculated any of my systems with a commercal source. I let it show up on it's own as you know it's on our bodies, floor, walls, soil, plants, open air etc. It's not supposed to be able to survive in spore form, and it's aerobic, so I'm skeptical of how long it can keep in a bottle for sale.

Just know what works for me. Sure not an expert on this. Only one microbiology class in my RN program, but it was fascinating.

Funny about the paint drying comment: I was so excited when my nitrosomonas showed up signaled by testing positive for nitrites!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/01/16 08:41 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.