You could trap them and eat them. I personally do not care for seafood, but my wife does. Fresh crawdads to her taste similar to Lobster. They do to me also, but I don't like Lobster.

The crayfish sold in the grocery store that looks kind of nasty or crayfish on a food bar wife will not eat. She says tastes nasty.

But get some fresh ones, especially if they have been dining full feed on fish food, get a pot of boiling water, some crab/lobster boil seasoning mix, and dump the crays in boiling water.

Scuba diving club I belonged to for many years had an annual crawdad hunt. Would go to the lake and have a night snorkel/scuba dive and give prizes for "largest", "most", etc. Then right immediately after the hunt dump them all, big and small, in a big old cast iron pot of boiling water with some lobster spice in it. The crays would come out bright red looking like tiny lobsters. There were never any leftovers.

I know they eat them in the south regularly. But for the mid-west, it was kind of a novelty because crays are not raised commercially in our area. So the crawdad boil was more like a wild game feast with the wild game being local crawdads.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine