The extent of shallow water is the next question.

I planned a 140' core trench for the dam - which would be considered the width of the pond. For a perfectly rectangular 2 acre pond, the length of the pond would be 622'.

If the slope from the edge of the pond is 2:1, then 10.3% of the surface area will be water in the 0-3' range. If the slope is 3:1, then 15.4% of the surface area will be water in the 0-3' range.

I believe 10-15% shallow water is sufficient for both spawning and native rooted plants? If I understood the "food chain" threads correctly, we should minimize the amount of incoming solar energy that is converted to plants and maximize the amount that goes to the phytoplankton.

I was going to leave some shallower humps in the middle of the pond. If my assumptions above are correct, then what is the minimum water depth I should allow over the humps? (I think my water should have above average clarity - unless I get one of the weird clay/turbidity reactions.)

Finally, say we decide that 6' is the safe depth where it is unlikely that plants or FA will establish on the tops of flat-topped humps. I would still consider having some rooted plants in the middle of the pond if they would be a net benefit to the fish.

Would it be a net benefit to build a few pinnacles (10' x 10') on the top of the humps. It they were built to a depth of only 3' below the water level then plants would certainly establish.

Positives: Some additional dense structure in the lake for forage fish. A visual dividing "curtain" if some of the bass decide to spawn in the adjacent 5-6' water.

Negatives: Taking some of the biomass of the lake and adding it into the "plant" category. Is this category already more than the pond needs? Secondly, does giving the plants a "foothold" in 3' deep water then make it possible for them to colonize the adjacent 6' deep water - when they would otherwise have been unable to do so?