Hey guys,
Ok so here is my story, please help. I recently bought 50 acres in Wisconsin. I am hoping to build a pond on this property but I don't know if I will be able to. We plan to build a house near(not too close) where the pond will be and recently had a septic guy out for perc testing. He dug holes in 7 different spots and couldn't find a place that the water didn't fill the hole. The water table seems to be about a foot below the ground and there is a creek within a couple hundred feet of where the pond would be. I would want it to be about 1/4 to 1/2 acre. The soil is sandy as deep as we have dug, sugar sand that I fear will colapse if we dig anything. I am pretty certain that the water table is high enough to keep the pond filled but here are my questions.
1. Do I have to use a liner or concrete blocks to make it deep enough?
2. How wide would it have to be to get to 12 feet deep, or would it just keep collapsing until it filled in?
3. I want to just dig a hole and let it fill up, is that a dumb idea?
4. If it's sand all the way down and it ends up only to be about 5-6 feet deep would it become a cess pool of water or would it still keep some pond life in the summer?
5. I know that if its not over 12 feet deep the fish would die in the winter, but even if it's only 5-6 feet deep then turtles and birds would use it in the summer.
Any help would be great. I don't want to dig a hole and have it be a mosquito pond that gets gross. Please help.
Thanks,
Bill