Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
My family returned from a trip to the Amish near shipshewana and said that the big change there is that everyone is into solar. The Amish run the factory that is making the panels and crews are putting them all over the roofs of their houses. They all run everything via solar and inverters.

I love their ideals about keeping life simple but I struggle with understanding how alternating current is wrong and direct current is OK. How did their german ancestors understand the difference between a/c and d/c when they made the rules hundreds of years ago?

Are the 12V lights that they run at night now (many houses lit up after sundown) different than the AC light bulbs? How about LED lights since the emitter is DC volts but the screw in part is expecting AC?

How do the rules apply to power inverters...meaning you are getting around AC by starting with DC solar but then end up plugging in AC units into it? Are the bulbs the bad part or just the idea of being able to stay up late wrong because you are using artificial light to extend your day?

Just curious how this big change occurred and what it might mean in the future. Sorry drifted way off post there.... but the expected snow may affect their solar panels too.

While you were there you should have stopped in the Menohof in Shipshewanna and would have all your questions answered. :-)

As usual wise Tony has it right: it's not AC that is the issue to them, it's connecting to the grid. Lots of Amish homes here have diesel generators that produce their own AC.

As far as solar and wind yes I see a lot of that here. But I think they aren't solely on them.

Btw anyone that goes to Shipshewanna is only 20 minutes from yours truly and is welcome to stop in if you call first (260) 894-9055.

Go south on state Rd. 5 from Shipshe through Ligonier, and the last stoplight in Ligonier on St. Rd. 6 keep going straight. Now you're on St. Rd. 33 and I'm two miles down on the left hand side. You'll pass a high school first. Taxidermy sign on the highway and three level log home with three car garage. Pond on the right hand side as you drive up the drive way.

Straight shot from Shipshe with no turns.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/15 09:07 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.