I went through this in NE Missouri. My impression is that most of these guys have built small ponds on pasture or tillable acres. Those are the ponds that the govt will fund.
I believe that it's a lot easier to put in a pond where you are working with topsoil and the underlying clay. Once one of these guys gets out of the field, and into a creek bed with rocks, and timber, they are at a bit of a loss.
My pond has a small leak, I'm ok with it, but I had to be out there the entire time to try and get them to do it right.
If I were to do it all over again, I'd bring in a serious pond builder from out of town. Someone that's dealt with rock and all types of soils.
Of course, I probably would have been told not to build my pond, but it was the only place on our farm that I was willing to put a pond. Ha..
Be careful is all I can recommend. Find someone that really has the experience, and will guarantee in writing that the pond will hold water.. (If there is such a person.)

Last edited by SetterGuy; 11/05/15 09:11 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023