Bobby, the mozambique tilapia will not survive the winter up here in North TX. We usually get about 8 months out of them, and they are the best bang for the buck forage wise, as I've ever seen. I ultimately stocked 30 pounds per acre, so 300 pounds, and I can't wait for the water to start hitting the mid 60's. The LMB feeding is just epic.

I put 25 of Overton's 5"-7" yoy LMB in my brood pond on July the 9th. This pond had been seined 4 times with a 1/2" net, and all that was basically left were fry. I also added 20 pounds of rosey reds at that time. These fish have been eating nonstop, and were impossible to catch. This week, I started catching them, so 50# of 1"-3" tilapia was stocked. To me, when a LMB starts hitting artificials in a hyper-foraged small pond, the fish are telling me something.

This morning, I couldn't catch anything, and that's what I wanted.

These fish were going to be transferred to the big pond when they changed from forage to predators and hit 12", but that plan has changed. I'll wait to say where they're at size wise right now, but I was very surprised.

Afterthought. Tony, if you read this, I did seine up what I believe to be first generation GSF X OTSCNBG. I saved them, and threw them back in the brood pond. Let's see how they turn out.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 09/23/15 06:18 PM.

AL