What I know about the pond so far:

Neighbors apparently chip in each year and treat it with copper sulfate, so it has virtually no weeds from what I can see. Water is sort of a brown color. Like tannin stained brown, not muddy brown.

Yes, it is a retention pond, and the water level comes up quite a bit after big rain events.

Doesn't appear to be much fish cover from what I can see. Don't see any logs or other cover that is visible from above water.

It's an older pond. Neighborhood has been around since at least 1991, so it's at least that old. Previous owners of the house have said the pond "turns over" every few years and there is a partial fish kill.

Only fish I have seen/caught so far are small bluegill (2-4") don't look horribly stunted, but don't look "chunky" by any means. But they don't have the oversized eyes I associate with stunted fish. I plan to talk to the neighbors and find out what their experience has been in terms of fishing to get an idea of where it is at.

Haven't been out on the water yet, so I have no idea of the Max depth, or how quickly it drops off from shore.

Would kind of like to plant some sort of emergent plants. Would like to have some water lilies, but want to make sure they don't run wild. Have been reading on the forum about that.

Thanks for the responses! Anything else I should be thinking about/looking into?