Is it possible to do without draining the pond? I have a 1 and a half acre pond that averages about 4 1/2 feet deep. I'd like to make it larger....maybe by at least another 1/2 acre or so. I have 18 acres so even digging out another pond and joining the two could be in play.......the original pond has a snow melt stream running into it that dries up in early summer. The bottom is heavy clay as much of the ground in this part of NC is. I'm not worried about the newly dug area holding water, I'm pretty certain after tamping it or rolling it down, it will be fine. I'd like to add some deeper areas and some rock substrate to the bottom to promote spawning and of course get some additional size to the current pond.

Currently with the dry summer that we have had, the pond is about 8" low. I imagine I could pre dig these areas, flatten them out and then take a back hoe and knock down a few spots separating the pond and the new area for water flow and wait until the stream fills it up. It should work.....at least in my mind it does but therein lies the problem, I know nothing about any of this...these are just the voices in my head talking to me. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.