I'm the same way: The complexity is intriguing, because it forces me to learn, and learning is fun. That's why I preferred to build my own pond rather than buying an already established one, despite the extra expense and hassle.

You will never regret researching. However much you know, you will wish you knew even more when you begin building. There is SO MUCH to consider it is amazing!

Regarding the watershed, you are right to spend serious time looking at this issue. Personally, I think it is second only to soil conditions for a pond. Depending upon where you live, you might need only 6 acres of watershed to support 1 acre of pond, or you might need 300 acres. Rainfall, the slopes (steeper means less absorption so you get a larger share of rain in the pond), the soil (lots of sand means less runoff, clay means more), etc. Silt & erosion can be issues, too.

Honestly, you may have issues keeping a 5 or 6 foot deep pond in good shape in Texas. The water will get hotter, increasing evaporation. Sunlight will penetrate a big percentage of the pond, meaning weed problems. Under the wrong conditions you might get a fish kill due to lack of oxygen & cooler water.

Of course, you might not care if it is strictly for swimming, though the weeds would still likely be a problem. Just something to think about.

I'll shut up now and wish you the best of luck!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160