Sometimes I get the same response. Sometimes you have to move the trap around to another part of the pond. For example, in my tiny pre-sediment pond that is only 20x40 feet, the west end is by far the best place to put traps. For some reason, the small fish like to congregate there. Other places around the bank I don't get much.

It also depends a lot on the concentration of fish. Right now I have boo-coo forage fish in my main pond. There are no predators in my sediment pond so it also has lots of small fish.

If the fish population is more sparse, not as much is likely to show up in traps.

For top water minnows like gambusia, set the trap with the top center right at water level. Then watch half of them fall back into the water through the mesh of the trap because they are so small.

You have to try different depths, different places till you find out where the fish congregate. They have favorite places to hide and to navigate to avoid predators.

Also a 1" opening is too small for any tall type fish like BG over about 2" long. Make the opening bigger and more chances for a wider range of fish to enter. Long slender fish can go through the 1" opening easier. Thus the name "minnow" trap.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine