I ordered grass shrimp from Carol last week, and I'm pretty happy about my order. I emailed her and shared some information about how shrimp are shipped in the aquarium hobby, via two day USPS, and she did an experiment to see how well the shrimp would fare. She told me that the experiment was a success so I went ahead and ordered 100 grass shrimp.

The shrimp arrived in two separate kordon breather bags and were insulated with newspaper.

In the box:

Out of the box. She shipped some duck weed with the shrimp so the shrimp have something to hold onto and won't just toss around.

The shrimp did very well. I kept 80 in a tub with an air stone, feeding them sparingly and they survived for 4 days until I could put them in my forage pond. Only 1 shrimp died in that 4 day period.

I put the other 20 shrimp (18 pregnant females and 2 males) in my aquarium for observation and just as a hedge just in case the first batch of shrimp didn't make it, but they all did.

Shrimp eating protein pellets:

You can really see this guy's organs. I thought it was a brain but upon closer inspection, it was beating rhythmically so I think it might be a heart.

Two days after putting the shrimp in, I had one female hatch her eggs. I currently have about 10 shrimp in larvae form floating around the top of my tank. Here's a blurry phone picture of one of them floating around with my Co2 bubbles:

All in all, I'm pretty happy about the order and Carol was a great help. Using two day shipping brought the price down per order a significant amount, but I'd check the temperatures in your locale because that might change how well the shrimp do in shipping. It was about 75/80 degrees when my shrimp were shipped to me. In the future, I might even order another 100 shrimp to really jump start my forage/YP pond. Hope this write up helps!

Last edited by FlatulentFox; 07/30/15 08:11 PM.