Hey Connor, you've grown some. You impressed me and others in the past. I think you will do well.

When I said options I meant that you most likely didn't have the $$$$$ that a lot of us older guys can throw at a pond.

Think of it this way. Predators and prey always have to be in balance. And that is the challenge that we all face. The GSF only spawn annually as versus other sunfish like bluegills that have multiple(rolling) spawns. The stuff like larvae, small frogs, etc will carry them just so far. They need groceries and the highly prolific shad will certainly supply that if the GSF can find them in a 1.5 acre pond.

However, if we have a nasty winter, the threadfins will die off when the water temp hits about 45 degrees. The pellets will really help but they will still need more natural food. Since they will only spawn annually, their young won't make much of a meal in 1.5 acres.

I would add some bluegills if I could and maybe some more green sunfish. You have a lot of water to fill and bluegills will do a better job than the greenies. If resources are available, I would, at this time, add about 1,000 bluegills and 10 pounds of fathead minnows.

I wouldn't mess with bass yet. You don't have enough to feed them.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/19/16 06:29 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP