Originally Posted By: IAHawkFisher
Do you guys think a pond like this with a large amount of trees around it is a problem? I just read a post regarding decaying leaves, etc.

IAHawkFisher,
A large amount of trees aound a BOW sure makes it nice and pretty. My pond was 13 years old when we purchased the property in 2013. The pond was a li'l over 1/2 full that summer when we closed on the property. When it started to rain that fall, the water was clear, but the color of ice tea...the result of years of settled decay (tannins-acids). I decided to expand the pond the summer of 2014. The D4 dozer got in there after it was drained and got to scratching on the bottom. They pushed up 5' of some of the nastiest muck I've seen and smelled in a long time. My place has a pretty aggressive watershed. I don't know if 1' foot of muck for every 3 years is a lot of sediment, but I'm glad it was done. My first inclination was to just to expand and let the bottom lay, but am grateful to have made the decision to spend the time and $$$ and get that stuff out of there. Trees are nice, and have great value around a BOW, however there's a price to pay to have them nearby.

...when in doubt...set the hook...