Originally Posted By: gklop
Originally Posted By: Rainman
In my last several years after introducing Blue Tilapia as a very viable pond management tool, I have had exactly ONE complaint about their activities.

The customer's kids wanted his sand beach area to NOT stink of hydrogen sulfide (hydrogen sulfide gas from anoxic waters under the sand). His kids "complained" they had to rake the nests that male tilapia made in the sand. I asked if the Tilapia cleaned the sand and removed the odor. He said yes, and that his kids just didn't like the nests. Seems to me, he just has lazy kids, since his water quality was improved.

Thanks Rainman,

I have been researching all winter on the plan for my pond and thought I was all set in using Blue Tilapia as a strategic start in getting the pond cleaned up. I have come across many positive stories on using them and only a couple negative ones. When I heard one story in person it made me step back and reconsider. What I think I will do now is go ahead with the Blue Tilapia. My thinking is if at the end of the year when they die off and I can't get them out and they sink and add to the nutrient load the pond can still be recovered. If however I go with the copper, which I am sure will work, I can't really remove it.

On a related note, I also have two small Coy ponds on the property that are in pretty bad shape, lots of duckweed. I was thinking that once the Tilapia grow a bit would it be a good idea to catch a few and put them in these smaller ponds?

Thanks for all the input.

gklop, as I was trying to say, there is no "new" nutrient load added when the fish die, even IF they sink and decompose. The nutrient was already in your pond and has simply been redistributed into a more edible form...Tilapia. Removal of all the Tilapia, without predators, is virtually impossible unless draining your pond, but many simply net them out of shallow areas when the water is cooling and the Tilapia are lethargic, sunning.

I just finished my first run through Ohio/Indiana and will be making my second run this weekend.

Copper Sulfate indeed kills algae, which decays quickly and becomes new algae in days to a couple weeks without feeding another plant, fish or animal to keep nutrients being utilized in a more beneficial way. Plus, you are adding a heavy metal to your pond sediments. (BTW, Tilapia will consume the detritus, muck, on the pond's bottom also)

Last edited by Rainman; 05/20/15 01:05 PM.