Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've got Allis to handle the trail mowing with a 5' finish mower that seldom gets removed, and the Ford 801 to do everything else. Trouble is, this time of year I need the bushhog frequently, as well as the box scraper nearly everytime it rains. So that means a lot of attachment swapping, which is not nearly as much fun as it used to be. Anyone else keep a steel fencepost handy to act as a prybar when swapping implements? A tip to help speed the process along: keep a separate toplink with every implement, already set for length. Much quicker.

I want a FEL, badly. VERY badly. So that will entail purchasing another tractor, probably a compact diesel.

And I hadn't even considered a skidsteer, but now I see where that might round things out nicely. Not good.

I'll start at the end. For several years, a friend stored a lot of his excavating equipment and dump trucks at my place. I had use of them when they weren't in use. One was a large Gehl skid steer, somewhere in the 65-70 hp range. I loved having it here, along with lots of quick attach implements. But, it would be extremely expensive to replace a utility or farm tractor with a skid steer because the implements are not interchangeable with 3-point implements.

I've owned a lot of 1940s through 1960s farm tractors, including a number of old Ford "N" series, pre and post 1947. I still regularly use a Massey 35 and 135 for community projects. But, my little 23 hp 4WD Japanese diesel will out-pull and out-lift (3-point hitch) those tractors. I've restored a lot of IH, John Deeres, and Allis-Chalmers from that era.

My last Allis was actually a Hinomoto 3-cylinder diesel, painted orange and with all the Allis-Chalmers logos and labels. That same model tractor was also sold under several other old-time American tractor names who had them painted red, or white, or ... I got my parts from a Massey dealer. It was a real beast at about 20 HP. Same with several red Yanmar 2- and 3-cylinder tractors. All crossed to green John Deere tractors.

There were a number of US companies that manufactured FELs for these tractors. The first that comes to mind in Kansas Machine Works, but there were many more.

Just a few years ago, for about $5000, and with a little bit of personal work and ingenuity, you could have a pretty nice setup with one of these older 2- or 3-cylinder 4WD diesel tractors, outfitted with an FEL, including front and rear hydraulic fittings.

Just something to think about.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!