Hi Ozark and welcome to the forum!

I'm a cool water species fan and have experience with fisheries of this type on my land and also with several clients.

I think the companion sunfish species you've selected will work, you've obviously been doing your homework on the forum with research. Well done.

Here's a possible stocking plan for you to consider - of course it all depends on your goals.

Spring 2016

FHM - you don't need 10# if you're allowing them a year to reproduce. The more FHM you stock, the more you need to hand sort as invasive species frequently get lost in the thousands of FHM. If you stock this many, be sure to get them from a RELIABLE source - no fish trucks! I made that mistake as a rookie, and introduced BH and BG into my fishery which I'll never be rid of. I'd consider stocking 1# and hand sorting them to be safe and provide some spawning habitat for them. FHM aren't expensive, just please be careful stocking them - I do not advise dumping 15,000 FHM into a pond without absolute confidence in the source.

I stocked 50 paper crays in a .35 acre predator free pond and in one year had over 1,000 I seined and transported. I was amazed at their success, and while I don't recommend going that low, I'm using this as an example for you. You probably don't need to break the bank here - 100-200 would likely be just fine and you can save some $ to invest in other fish or habitat, etc.

You can try the GSH fry, several on the forum seem to report success with this Anderson plan. Or you can stock 100 adults [4-6"+] and let them do their thing over the Summer. Bear in mind GSH spawning habitat consists of submerged/emergent vegetation - if your new pond lacks this, reproduction might be affected negatively. Submerged vegetation [even grass grown along shoreline] will work as well as aquatic vegetation - so consider getting some grass going prior to filling the pond if you want to provide spawning habitat should you elect to stock adults. While I've never had to rely on this method, fescue, rye, random weeds, whatever will likely work according to experts on the forum.

You can stock the RES in Spring/Summer at that size, or wait until Fall. If you just want a presence to help manage snail population, 75-100 is a good number. That low density will likely be enough to disrupt yellow/black grub parasitic cycle, and due to lower competition for forage items in their niche, the RES will grow large quickly. Bear in mind, however, you won't have a significant angling opportunity considering the low density - will likely serve as a bonus catch from time to time, which might fit your goals fine. If you want them to serve as more of an angling opportunity, you could safely stock 150-250 without impacting the fishery negatively. if your RES are not performing to your standards in a season or two, harvest a few dozen and thin the population - they'll respond favorably with improved body condition.

I think the Fall is good for YP stocking, also - and those size fish should be available somewhere up North. Contact Rex Rains [Rainman on the forum], he will source good genetics for you. Request pellet trained fish as that will relieve some pressure off your forage base of GSH. Depending on your goals for the YP, I think you could go anywhere from 100 - 400/ac. You might not get reproduction/recruitment from these YP depending on your water temps - I believe YP need 49 degrees for egg development, but Cody can advise on this detail. If you aren't pulling spawns, supplemental stocking of YP annually or biannually will be necessary. If you won't pull spawns, 150 initial stocking might be a good number, and follow up in a season or two with another 100-150. Qty will be dependent on your harvest plan - YP are hard to beat in cornmeal and peanut oil!

HBG the following Spring sounds good, but I think you can nudge that number up depending on what you do with RES and YP. You could go up as high as 400-500/ac, again depending on your goals and stocking qty of YP and RES. Some on the forum help manage HBG populations by removing all female HBG caught and it sounds like a good strategy. Periodically stock new HBG to help prevent them from reverting to GSF genetics - Cody and Sparkplug can advise further on this topic. Pellet program will help feed the HBG, they'll grow large and fast and be a blast to catch in UL tackle or flyrod.

I like your SMB numbers - look for 6-8" fish in Fall. With that low density, the SMB will grow larger and while not caught frequently, will be a lot of fun. SMB population management could serve as an issue for you - they will spawn successfully in rock substrate but can also do so on hard clay [they spawn on both in my ponds], so this will be something to keep an eye on. Removing SMB and caging isn't hard, and Rex can likely find a home for them if you pull spawns annually and need to cull fish. Rex can source these for you from Fountain Bluff hatchery - they have offered pellet trained in the past my FB fish from Rex have performed admirably.

HSB stocking numbers sound good - or you can consider ladder stocking so you have several year classes represented. You could go 10 in the Fall, follow in two seasons with another 10 [year 4], follow in two seasons with another 10 [year 6], etc. If you plan on harvesting any HSB, bump these numbers during ladder stocking. Pellet program will keep these fish happy and growing fast. Rex can source these for you, too.

Remember, if you want big fish, go heavy forage and pellet program and keep stocking numbers like and harvest liberally. If you want more angling opportunities nudge the numbers upward. I've tried to provide some very general guidelines and you can adjust according to your goals.

This sounds like a very promising fishery, and we can't wait to experience the journey with you. Keep us apprised of your plans, and always feel free reach out with questions. Now, post some photos of your proposed pond site, please - we love photos!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]