I suppose there are lots of ways to skin that cat. I'm just too stubborn not to use what I feel is the most appropriate tool for the job. If I'm using an adjustable wrench to tighten a plumbing union, I won't use it to try and remove a set of lawnmower blades on the next job simply because I happened to already be holding it in my hand....I have the correct tools for that job. grin

If that were my pond, I would nose the old 1958, 801 Powermaster down as close as I could, and chain that log to the front of the tractor. I wouldn't worry about lifting it at all....that tractor doesn't even have a FEL on it... then I would ease the clutch out in reverse, about 1/3 throttle, and gage the resistance. I'm betting it would walk it right out. If not, then get the tractor with the FEL.

Sure pickups will pull. Happens every day, and sometimes we use what we have available. But tractors were MADE to pull. Right tool for the job. wink

(I'm thinking we need a thread that discusses the various items that members consider indispensable for country living....)

Last edited by sprkplug; 05/04/15 08:23 PM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.