We were a couple feet low last year from not having any large rain events to provide runoff. This allowed swamp smartweed to grow around the old pond and various other weeds around the main pond. Now that both ponds are at full pool, the small fish are making use of the cover provided by the old dead weeds from last year. That along with the FA is providing pretty good cover for small fish.

Here is a picture of a fish I caught today out of my old pond that at first thought was a pure GSF. The green bars on the cheek were very faint though. Now seeing the picture, the mouth just does not look big enough. I think it must be one of the hybrids I caught in my main pond and put in this old pond.

Been looking for a single or maybe two gravid female GSF to put in my forage pond with my RES brood stock to see if I can get some RES/GSF offspring for stocking purposes. No luck yet, but can't say I've been hitting it very hard. Need to get with the program if I'm going to get it done for this year.

Attached Images
001.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 04/17/15 12:10 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine