I am hoping to excavate some pit ponds in our pasture. Primary usage is fishing for kids and grandkids, with a LMB-BG population.

I know there are an endless number of trade-offs, but I would like to start a discussion among the PB experts to see what people might do different in hindsight from their own ponds.

The ponds will be about 90% excavation since only a very shallow natural waterway exists through the pasture. The land is almost a perfect "blank slate" at this time, and the lay of the land will have very little control over the pond configuration.

If you had the money to excavate 3 acres to an average depth of eight feet, then how would you optimize your fishery? I was thinking of building three ponds of 1 acre each.

Each would drain into the next lowest pond. I could have slightly different management in each pond - a few big LMB in one pond, and a hot BG pond for the little kids, etc.

I am sure Cecil could handle thirty ponds that were each 1/10th of an acre. What would each of you recommend to yield the best results for a less expert manager?

[Site details in next post.]

Thanks, Rod