I had a loosely related Hybrid experience recently. I had a PB reader inquire about getting some Hybrid Black Crappie (HBCP) for his Iowa pond. I have not gotten my permits for Iowa, so I looked into costs and which permits were required.

I noticed on the Iowa "Approved Aquatic Species List" Bluegill and their hybrids, Green Sunfish and their hybrids...then,Striped Bass and their Hybrids, White Bass and their hybrids...this means Hybrid Bluegill and Hybrid Striped Bass are "approved, though not directly mentioned.

When it Came to Crappie, White Crappie and Black Crappie are on the list, but no mention of "and their hybrids". I thought, no biggie as that just means I also need a "special" permit, which is free. I call Alan Johnson of Iowa to get the permit, as required.....He calls me back the next day stating that the State Biologist would not allow the Hybrids for fear they would get into the wild.....I have no doubt that since Iowa has plenty of Black and White Crappie in the same lakes, there is plenty of natural hybridization already. Also, since Hybrid Crappie offspring are inferior to both parents little or no F2 survive predation. Seems to be another decision made by a bureaucrat with no basis in reality to me.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/06/15 12:57 PM.