Bobad,
I think most of us agree with most of what you are saying and, again I think, it was the statement that you would rarely remove the poisonous snake etc that sparked the debate. The ”harmless” water moccasin and the one you step on are the same snake. Teaching your kids about snakes is good, but the one they can’t see or don’t know about is the one that could create a problem for them also. Many of the children who drown in swimming pools were also educated on water safety, but, most were probably to young to understand. Were it me in your situation I would move the poisonous snake along at first sight. I think a poisonous snake in my backyard would put me closer to being one of 4 in 3million than if I shooed him away or shot him.
Norm,
Where I am what you say is probably true, except that here they still have time and space to grow large. A 12 foot King Cobra is an awesome sight. But, in Los Angeles Rick is right , too many people, too much asphalt and concrete, noise and pollution. I lived in a relatively rural area in Los Angeles County and saw 2 snakes in 10 years, yet growing up in the same area I could find snakes almost any time I wanted. Like Bobad says misunderstood and to often killed irrationally. Like sharks, misunderstood and maligned. Soon both will only be captivity in the US. I read a crazy thing the other day, there are more tigers in the US than in all of the rest of the world put together.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam