I have a 100+ year old spring-fed lake in East Texas that needs help. It's 90 acres, and is primarily LMB & crappie. The bottom is primarily sandy.

The problem here is that it gets very gunked up with filamentous algae, especially during the summer. Mats cover a majority of the banks, and it's nearly impossible to fish. It affects the whole lake, but in the neck on the northern part is definitely the worst, as it's very shallow up there.

The person in charge of managing the lake has in recent years tried fertilizing it, adding grass carp, and adding tilapia. All to no avail.

It has occurred to me, that I have not seen any other aquatic plant in the lake to compete with the filamentous algae. I was thinking that this could likely help battle it off, and the lake needs more structure regardless.

My number 1 priority is to establish some aquatic plants that can battle off the FA, while providing adequate structure for bass, and easy to fish. I don't want something invasive, or likely to get out of control. My main concern is the shallow neck in the upper part of the lake. Much of the coves and a large extending ridge through the middle part are only about 2' deep max, whiled the rest is only about 3-5' deep. I worry that something could overtake that area rather easily, not unlike the FA.

I've read about corkscrew eelgrass, and the advantages of that. A few questions though: How quickly does it establish and spread? Is it native? I'd like to keep the vegetation native, but if it's far and away the best option out there, than I can be a little flexible there.

A few other plants I've heard mentioned are water willow and blue iris. Again, I'd like to know if these can be planted without getting out of control up in the neck. I'm fine with it filling in the areas that are 1-2' in depth, but what is it's depth limit?
Also, are there any water lilies that can be controlled easily from taking over the neck?

Another little thing I'm curious of, is if any of these are attractive to ducks. We have a small population of ducks at the lake, mostly mallards and woodies, but the community isn't nearly what it used to be. It's not a priority to provide forage for them and grow the community, right now. It would just be an extra perk if any of the plants for the lake could help out with that.

Thanks in advance!