Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Bill,
You could get the 22LR Henry and a decent scope for right around the $500 you're wanting to spend. Shooting the CCI Stinger 22 ammo you're looking at about 1650fps with a 30gr bullet, if I recall correctly. That's getting out there, but might not quite have the reach you're looking for. I taught my kids to shoot with a Henry 22 youth model...really great little gun, fairly accurate and will last forever,I'd buy another anytime.

Again if I'm remembering, the 22Mag and 17 HMR are going to be significantly more expensive---with a good scope you'll go over $500, but you'll also gain a lot in distance as many have noted.

Don't know about Winchester, but Browning makes an extremely light, beautiful 22lr LA in several grades...the lowest will set you back over $500, so probably not an option.

If I get diagnosed with a terminal illness in the next couple weeks, I'll send you my Marlin 1894c in 218 Bee--that is the perfect varmint gun.

Browning used to make a lever action with a very short throw, AND the trigger traveled with the lever.....no pinching your fingers with that one. Don't know if they are still that way or not. I second Yolk's opinion, though..very fine rifles.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.