Must have been quite a bit of water loss through the ground under the pond or via the banks over the winter as the ice level was quite a bit below the banks. Lots of melted water on top of a very thin layer of ice. Lots of holes through the thin ice. I must have had at least 12" maybe more. Still is thick ice in the middle but edges almost through. I'm surprised I don't have any critters coming up through the holes in the ice.

These holes earlier in the season had that jagged star look to them, I wonder if I had warm bubbles of decaying organics coming up through? I'm not aware of any springs in the pond.

I was going to speed up the clearance of ice with my aerator as I'm worried my dog may fall through and not be able to get out. He isn't so bright when it comes to knowing what ice he can walk on and which he can't. But then I figured if I give him open water in the middle and scary ice up to that point that he'll just be tempted to go to the middle. Hopefully he will stay on the edges!