my pond is gradually filling after a very dry summer and fall. we plugged the pipe in may and got some good rain for a month or so. the pond was coming up an inch or so a day right at first, then the rain stopped.it probably fell 30 inches or so over the next 3 months. i have noticed since the beginning a place or 2 on the back of the dam that is damp. maybe a 20 x 20ft square. the ground is kind of pumping in one area now. for the unfortunate ones that have a leak, what do they look like, is it a great big wet spot with flowing water or just a damp spot like mine. this pond is only going to be 1.75-2 acres when full, but has a large dam due to the contour of the land. the dam is about 500' long and about 120' at the base. the dirt we used wasnt the very best, we had good clay, but would hit places that had a different type soil from time to time. also there are some type of crumbly rock in a few places near the dam. my thought is that if it is leaking it probably is coming thru the rock crevices.
it has been about 7 years since i built my last pond, on average how long does it take new soil to absorb all it is going to and stop wicking water?

Scott Hanners