I was surprised to measure 5 3/4 inches of solid ice today.

Hard to believe but I am getting tired of catching up to 20 perch every evening up to 14 1/2 inches. I'm shooting for a 10 inch plus bluegill for a customer to complete an order, and can't get one to save my soul. Well actually that's not true. I did get an undersize one the other night and one that was plenty big but screwed up fins.

It appears the yellow perch are more aggressive! When they move in the Vex becomes solid red about a foot to 2 feet off the bottom!

Can't get a bite until a half hour before dark and then it's almost nonstop from then until a couple of hours after dark. The lantern on the ice seems to draw them in.

On another note I was sure I screwed up and the following fish was a male. (Pond is supposed to be all fast growing females) Turns out it was a female but the eggs were not very developed yet.

She did taste good rolled in flour, dipped in egg, and then Italian bred crumbs. Wow!

Both pictures are the same fish.

The above fish was about 11 inches and is a year and 8 months old. It spent most of it's life in indoor tanks, mine in the basement and one of three high school tanks I set up. Perhaps it's the young age and/or the indoor tanks played havoc on photoperiod response -- even though it was in the pond this fall? Or it has not been as adaptive on natural feed in the pond and is not as well fed as it could have been for egg development? It was eating invertebrates judging by its digestive tract contents.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/23/15 12:25 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.