A few questions on a perch pond close to us. I do know the owner quite well. Would like to see the pond live up to its potential with as little $$ spent. Man power for this pond owner is cheap.

Pond back ground.

Old gravel pit dug out as much as possible till water took over.
Spring feed year round completely private land.
Pond is about 10 feet deep on average everywhere and with the dam can add a log and raise and lower water as needed.
Perch were stocked at 10,000 in 1997 and only fish that has been caught or trapped in it that I have seen or heard.
Pond has abundant of coontail and other weeds every year but die off well each year.

Problem with this pond is you can not catch anything ever unless it is trapped or you use a small perch as bait to catch another larger perch. Any large perch look stunted to me. Their mouth gap is equal to there body girth.

What would be the best course of action to help this pond out and bring it into a nice fishery.

Reading another post and it got me thinking. This pond is to its carrying capacity for sure. Only way any fish can get any bigger is to eat its own or elders die naturally. My thoughts were to minnow trap out as many 1-2" perch each year and maybe cut and rake the largest portion of the weeds out.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 01/17/15 12:18 PM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.