Fish the breaks, but I've also caught them on edges of weedbeds. In Spring and Fall I can find some hanging off the break from 5-12' depth in front of the feeder. I suspect they make a good living ambushing from the deeper darker water hammering BG, YP, GSH which are feeding on pellets. I do well on minnow/jig combo - fished near or on bottom - but also like Bob's more stripped down rig of Tru Turn aberdeen wire hook or octopus thru nose and shot 12-24" up the line - very subtle and you can fish super slowly. Slip floats work too drifting along breaks at various depths using the wind, but I seem to catch more with an active angling approach. Like Sunil said, you'll feel a series of taps a lot like YP - 2nd or 3rd usually results in a hookup.

If you want to experience your WE more often, you can also start feeding your WE some HBG from your dock or shoreline and get them acclimated ala Condello. Yolk is doing amazing things with his SMB and WE feed training - super impressive. Between them, Bruce and Dave have successfully feed trained LMB, SMB, Crappie and WE on cut BG...which is incredible. I hope Dave posts some shots of his SMB and WE - I bet there are some truly solid fish there.

On the ice I try minnow and slip float in a few holes around me in varied depths, but am actively jigging spoons with small minnow, minnow head, or plastics in my primary spot. When I call in fish beneath the spoon, I vary jigging action to illicit strikes. Aggressive snaps 12-18" is sometimes the ticket, other times they like slow rises and pause ever 4-6" and wiggle/shake the spoon, then up another 4-6" and repeat the jiggle. As you know, the WE will tell you what they want that day - both in presentation and color. Keep a snap swivel on your jigging rod[s] so you can change spoon colors from silver to gold to copper or the ancillary colors chartreuse, pink, glow, etc. I usually fish 1/16 oz Slender Spoons - amazing action and super affordable. We caught most of our WE thru the ice on jigging spoons while crappie and YP fishing and the WE were a bonus. 90% of our WE came in the last 60 min of daylight, and 2 hrs into dark then everything shuts down at my place. In late December that's 4:00 - 7:30 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]