I guess it also depends on your location and time of year for pricing. I know lumber prices go up during hurricane season.

I haven't done a cost comparison in a few years now, but when I did, a 2x6 stick built was always less expensive than the pole barn kits. That would also include ceiling and wall insulation, finished metal interior and poured foundation for the stick built.

I wanted to build a 16 x 24 x 12 insulated building for my tractor and a few other things. I started buying materials. Got the trusses, shingles and other items, waiting for lumber prices to drop again. I picked up a new, really nice Wayne Dalton Industrial insulated 8' x 10' overhead door for peanuts when a lumber company went belly up. It was custom made for someone and the guy at the lumber company said they messed up and told W-D the wrong width, so this is actually 8'2". With a mono-slab, a couple windows, steel entrance door, electrical and misc., about 4800 bucks for materials.

Silly thing tho, is when I inquired about a permit, the regulations were changed a few months before this and they only allow a maximum size building on vacant property of 100 sq-ft, unless it's farm land. Reason being is people will put up a small building like this and live in it. To be honest with you, I could live in it!