Another run off consideration is that it comes from your property and not the neighbors. You have no control on what they do to their land that can affect yours. As often said, we all live downstream from someone.

I used to get a lot of water from a neighbors land. Then ownership changed and the new owner planted gramma grass to slow down erosion. I don't blame him a bit. I think a guy ought to do what he wants on/to his land. But it certainly has affected me.

An exception to my feelings might be if he started a chicken raising operation and I got pollutants. Or, maybe a cattle feed lot. I am aware of a private lake community that had a reputation for growing huge bass. A chicken raising operation up stream has ruined the 60 acre lake and turned it into a polluted mess.

Another consideration is the soil. Assure that it will hold water. Rocky or sandy soil can be iffy.

Not so much pond related is exactly who are the neighbors. I looked at one place that seemed to have everything I wanted as investment/development property. However, a drive around the area showed some neighbors straight out of the movie Deliverance. I passed on that one and, in the last 10 years, it still hasn't sold.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP