Quote:
Originally posted by will:
how much backin'& line do I use # 2 what do tippets do ? & do I need them to get started (in my pond). # any book Or site for dummies like me.
Will,

You are off to a great start.

Backing: when you buy the reel you generally get information on how much backing it will hold and of what pound test. If you don't have that, and aren't planning on going Tarpon fishing right away \:\) , then put about 100 yards of 20 pound test dacron on the reel first followed by the fly line, attached of course.
Tippets give you some flexibility of re-tying multiple flies without replacing the entire leader. For my ponds, I use a 6 pound tippet about 2 to 3 feet long, but heck it really does not matter...the fish do not care. By the way, some fly fishing folks get really into the technical aspect of this sport...I don't. I prefer fishing, but certainly do not criticise those who do. Use a minimum of a 9 foot leader longer if the water is extremely clear. The leader should have a heavy 2 foot butt section something like 30 pound test, and other sections in decreasing line strength...or you can just tie on a 9 foot section of mono 6 pound test or whatever you prefer and go fishing. The fish don't really care as long as the end section, or tippet isn't visable. The reason for a declining line strenght in your leader is to "turn the fly over" or in other words, place the fly where you want it with minimum commotion, sort of.

Tomorow I'll send you some great web sites with good info. I really hope you enjoy this because I do love it so.