Try to make your tire structures tall. This allows the fish to move up and down in the water column to adjust to water temperature changes, seasons, etc.

One thing I have added since the pond filled (and would have been much easier done before it filled) is to add permanent boat moorings. My pond is 3 acres and you might not need or want them with 2 acres. But what I find is we are much more likely to fish from our small boat if we can tie up to something. We have lots of wind here, and managing the boat when it is windy is a pain. We tried a couple different anchors and between them dragging on the mud bottom then hanging up on structure they did not work well for us. Still have one of the anchors in the bottom of the pond. Wedged in some structure. You would think I could have found it scuba diving, but not so far.

I had structures made from old foundation concrete pieces so I just tied off from them. This has the added benefit of marking some of the major structures. I put every bit of structure in our pond so you would think I could look out over the pond and know where it is at. Within 50 feet maybe, but that is not close enough to keep from loosing a lure because of being off. Hmmmmm..... could have sworn that was over there a little more........ So the half dozen ropes out there with very small buoys not only provide places to tie the boat up to, but give me lots better reference points to locate even the structures that are not marked.

One way you could do it with your tire structures is put a few bags of sacrete concrete in a few of the tires and tie a rope with buoy to a heavy tire. You might not be planning on using a boat on your pond, or you may not have lots of wind, but if you do we use the moorings a lot with our small boat. Having several of them allows to account for different wind directions so we can tie up and have the boat in about any area of the pond we want.

Just an idea. Not for everyone. Some would not like the idea of the extra buoys and ropes out there. We used small 3" ones. We like it a lot.

Last edited by snrub; 10/24/14 08:10 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine