I can't give any technical info but can give you a little personal experience. I've lived in 3 houses within 1/2 mile of each other all on wells with enough iron in the water to turn a shower bright orange in a couple of day of the softener running out of salt. 1st house had a no-name single stage electric powered softener. It was a demand type that would cycle whenever it needed to. It required about 200lbs of salt per month and if it was cycling during your shower you wouldn't have any soft water. The second was made by Culligan, it was electric and had a timer to cycle every night at around 3AM, the most unlikely time I would be using water. It cycled even if you didn't use any water and therefore used a lot of salt, 300lb per month. Even with this much salt usage I still had to use iron out to keep from staining the shower. I built a house a couple of years ago and decided on a Kinetico. It cost more than other systems but has performed well. I bought a reconditioned unit and saved a few $$. It uses no electric and cycles as needed based on how much water passes through it. Since there are 2 resin tanks you never have a shortage of soft water. It also came with a sediment filter. I change the filter every 6 months and add about 200lbs of salt twice a year.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking