Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: george1
[quote=snrub] If you purchase from Arkansas suppliers they are most likely intergrades so may be more tolerant to colder temps.
I have seen some brutes that are positively Arkansas intergrades - really nice fish!
G/

George,

If the some of the bluegills from Arksansas suppliers are intergrades how likely is it the bluegills they truck up here in the north may also be intergrades?

Most of the bluegills up here come from Arkansas so...

It could explain why some of the bluegills stocked up here seem to stress more in the winter than the native fish.

Yes Cecil, it is my personal opinion that most, if not all Arkansas CNBG are intergrades.
A little history:

Bruce Condello got me interested in BG some 10 years ago!
I cull EVERY BG from main pond that do not meet Overton’s CNBG characteristics and transfer to small 1/4 acre pond.
I have caught some brute BGs from the “cull pond” that anyone would be proud – I just like the coloration and shape of the “pure” Floriida CNBG

12 years ago, I began examining all BG stock, knowing my young grandsons had bucket stocked some stunted native BG (from neighbor’s pond) into my previously stocked pure Florida CNBG pond, fingerlings supplied by Bob Waldrop, personally caught and transported from Florida. This was before Overton established his fish farm.

I could readily ID Waldrop’s CNBG from bucket stocked native BG.
As time went on I culled all offspring that I considered intergrades.

In the meantime, Overton acquired “pure” Florida CNBG directly from Florida and I began introducing his genetics to our brood stock.
I have also observed what I consider “pure” CNBG stocked in Lake Fairfield by Texas Parks and Wildlife.
I am extremely pleased with my present stock that I participated in naming “Overton Texas Strain” CNBG.

Best,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)