FlyF, another point on your well. I did quite a bit of research on what was underneath my property in the way of strata. I found out that the area where I live was part of alluvial sands, salt water bogs and ocean shore among a few or interesting items in the history of how the land was formed under my place millions of years ago when the aquifer was being established. That said just Google your county water well maps,geology maps/history and you can find what is under your land area. In your area, although I am not 100% sure as my memory is short, I believe there are quit a few fault lines and salt dome among other things that could be of some slight problem in your area but not necessarily on your property. If you do not want to do a bunch of research then you could PM me and I will send you what I have that covers your part of the state. The files(some) are large and I would need to send you several attachments. Even some of the maps are large as well. Since Zep gave you the agrilife .gov and Mr Otto contact info I would ask them first what they have. As another example of a pond with well water access, my well does flow at 10GPM and is in the top 80 ft. or so of the Wilcox aquifer. We drilled through the queen city aquifer but the high volumes of water is usually but not always available in the queen city sands aquifer. Anyway my well although new(less than a year old) has flowed approximately 545,000 gals. and two successive runs of 125,000 gals. for top off. To put it in perspective my pond is about 1 surface acre and about 6.5 acre feet with a average depth of approximately 8' feet, max depth of approx. 17ft. The pond is built in a draw with mostly iron ore and grey/yellow clay. As many recommend on this site by many in the know the top soil was piled, then the rock and clay was separated into different piles, then dug to about 19 to 20 ft deep and clay lifts of 6 to 8 inches were laid and packed by bull dozer and tractor tires with three to four lifts that covered the whole pond and out into the land surface three to 10 ft. That was in hopes to prevent leakage although as many will tell you here that seepage is going to happen. All that said my 10 GPM does work for my pond even though the time it takes for filling is weeks not days.I could change that with a higher flow rate pump but have not taken that choice. On my long run of 20 plus day when I was filling the pond the cost for electricity (extra) over the normal bill was about $60.00.(220 volt) Not bad in my book. When I run it for a week or so I cannot really see a blip on the bill. So I would say, if your pond can be sealed adequately,the dam does not leak, and the well will not be in salt water you should be good.

Last edited by mpc; 08/06/14 08:53 PM. Reason: clarification and grammer