There are no perfect solutions. But the most effective method I've found is to use saltwater surf techniques.

First, I get a batch 4-6 inch lively creek chubs. I'm sure shiners or suckers would work too.

Using a pretty hefty rod/reel, with 15-20# mono line, I tie on a Double Drop Rig. I use two 4/0 hooks and a 4 oz., pyramid weight on the end. I hook a chub on each line with by hooking it just behind the lower lip and protruding through the nostrils. They will live for hours when books this way.

At sundown, the line is cast into a shallow area, maybe 15-20 feet from shore. The rod is placed in a rod holder. Tighten the line, and set the drag to a very light setting. Then just let it be all night.

I don't always get a catfish, but the minnows are always gone in the morning. Sometime one or two heads will still be on the hooks.

The other thing I've found that works periodically is to fish for them after the evening feeding. I feed in 7-9 feet of water. Some of the pellets sink to the bottom. Trails of fine bubbles can be seen coming up, which is from the catfish foraging pellets in the bottom muck.

I'll tie a 2/0 or 4/0 circle hook on the end of the line, and at least a one ounce weight about 18 inches above the hook. I'll bait the hook with two or three night crawlers. The weight is used to quickly get the bait to the bottom. Otherwise the bluegill will strip it clean on its way to the bottom. When I see a bubble trail I'll gently cast the line so that the bait will fall about 2 feet in front of the direction the bubble trail is heading. It doesn't always work, but it is fairly effective.

The main thing is to never throw a catfish back in.

Good luck,
Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 07/31/14 08:55 AM. Reason: Correcting the spelling checker

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!