Brian,

Good luck and thanks for keeping us posted.

Yeah one of the downsides I have found to keeping large numbers of fry in a tank when you feed them artificial feed is you have to feed them often, which easily dirties up the water due to it's fine size. And of course feeding fry up to 8 times a day produces a lot of waste that is also fine.

Fortunately my new circular cone bottom tank, in conjunction with a external stand pipe, and my clarifier tank seem to do a good job of cleaning the water. I also use a sock type foam filter on my pump to clean the water further. (I have to clean the foam twice a day.) You probably do that too?

The feed I've been using from Allied Aqua has really helped me keep the water swimming pool clean once I graduate to the floating pellets. Even though it's tilapia feed it's still 50 percent protein just above the crumble size and floats. This is not the case with Aquamax. I find once my bluegill take the sinking they have no problem coming up for the floating feed once they are large enough. I also keep the water at 80 F. which makes them along with the tilapia in the same tank feed like pirhana. I think mixing in tilapia with my bluegill makes them more aggressive feeders.

The cone bottom tank was free from one of the schools I supply a system and fish to is worth it's weight in gold for feed training fry.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/17/14 09:54 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.