Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I also often use tippet tied directly to the furled leader like George mentions. However, in defense of tapered leaders - their upper section is stiffer, heavier mono and it helps your fly lay out gently and consistently. If you don't change flies often, can tie knots with very little waste, and don't get hung up often, one can fish a tapered leader for a long time and in my experience it helps with smooth presentation. However, if you have a penchant for tying new flies often thinking it will stimulate a bite[like me], sometimes wasteful knots[like me], and get hung up in trees on your back cast from time to time [like me], direct tippet to leader is a lot easier and more efficient!

Yep T.J. - tapered store bought leaders are the way to go - and they will come that way if advice is followed to buy a basic starter kit with fly rod, reel, backing, fly line and a tapered leader.

If you are a DIY guy and want a stiffer butt section there are all kinds of formulas on the internet to make your own.
Before I switched to furled leaders, I made my own leader/tippets using Hard Mason Nylon leader material for stiffer butt section to help turn over the fly.
Have fun,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)