Originally Posted By: RC51
Hey ya'll I am glad this section is here on the Boss. I am really thinking about getting into fly fishing on my pond. I have never done it and don't know anything about it hardly so I am going to do a lot of reading in this area first before I start thowing out all kinds of questions. I am just glad it's here for me to read about. When I say I don't know anything I really don't? Lines / reels/ rods/ I have no idea what a 5wt means??? or a 7wt? No clue on type of line I need..... I don't really want to spend big bucks doing it but would like a decent setup. Should be interesting.... Good to know you all are here for when I bomb you with all kinds of questions!! smile

RC

RC, sorry to be late to the party but spent a great morning with FireIsHot, his adult supervisor, and Mrs, G. to keep us on our best behavior!
Man, has he ever got a beautiful place!

We are neighbors about 30 miles north or might I say son jeff's place about 30 miles north.

Sunil and Cisco have pretty well nailed it but go back to the original thread and read Dusty Abney's post - it's a classic!
After reading all the stuff, several of us on the forum can address your questions.

A 5 or 6 wt combo rig is good advice - if you can get to Cabela's before Fathers Day they have a heck of sale going on right now - really good deals on combo units.

Don't worry about line weights right now - the combo units are rigged and ready to fish - but if you really just can't stand to wait for an answer, the weight is determined by the "grain" weight of the first 30 ft of the line - often called the belly - it's larger diameter than the running line portion. That's what you are casting - the fly just goes along for the ride.

Head for the nearest Cabelas before the sale ends if you can - otherwise i have another recommendation for a starter combo.
Enough talk - typing on Jeff's computer is burning daylight - Ive got a handy little 4 wt fly rod just waiting to head for the pond.

Good luck - fire away on questions but no answers until i get back home.... grin
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)